Friday, September 14, 2007

Stuffed Eggplant

Tonight's dinner was stuffed eggplant with a side of spinach feta focaccia bread from the local bakery.

Below is a picture of the full stuffed eggplant.













Each boy only ate half so here is a side-view of it cut in half.








Stuffed Eggplant
2 medium sized eggplants
Tomato sauce
Garlic
Spinach
Fresh Mozzarella cheese
Olive Oil
Kosher Salt

Place eggplant (not cut or anything) into the oven at 425 F. Cook until slightly soft (about 15 minutes) remove from oven and let cool enough that you can touch it without being burned. Slice the top quarter off the eggplant and hollow out the other part. You should leave about a quarter of an inch of the eggplant.

Chop up the top quarter as well as the pieces removed. Toss eggplant pieces and chopped spinach in a pan coated with olive oil and lightly salt the mixture. Cook on a medium heat until soft (about 15 minutes). Please note: Eggplant is spongey so it will soak up your olive oil. If you find the pieces start to brown add a little bit of water.

Once soft add enough tomato sauce to coat the eggplant and heat until warm. Spoon the eggplant mixture back into the hollowed eggplant "shells" and top with fresh mozzarella cheese. Place back into oven until cheese is melted (about 5 minutes).

You can eat the whole thing or just the insides.

4 comments:

Dana said...

OK, this just looks too good! I've got to go to the market tomorrow - I'm picking up an eggplant!

Leighann said...

I have eggplant in the fridge, now I know what we're having for dinner tonight!

Meggie Mom Fantastic said...

Unfortunately the mention of the word eggplant sends the other 6 boobs in my family running for the toilet. I love me some eggplant though, which means I get the whole thing to myself :D and foccacia was on my list of funny words a few thursday thirteens ago, almost as funny as panini

Shrijnana said...

This looks delicious!!! I can't wait to try it.