Friday, August 17, 2007

Calzones

Tonight I made calzones using a recipe for dough that my mom has had for ages. I had some trouble rolling out the dough, I think that is because many years ago I fixed the recipe for high altitude and haven't changed it back. So they came out a bit thicker than I'd like but they were still super good. Even the baby loved his.

They were stuffed with ricotta, mozzarella, spinach, tomatoes, LOTS of garlic, fresh basil and feta. I served them with marinara sauce to dip in.

Each kid only ate half a calzone and the neighbor girl ate dinner here too and loved it as well.

Before Cooking.













After Cooking










To answer to comment questions from yesterday and a few days ago...

1. My kids love green chili. They grew up in the southwest so it's nothing uncommon for them to eat them.

2. Avocados are both a super-food and we love them, so that's why we eat them quite often. They are full of fiber, vitamins and monounsaturated fats to promote brain growth and lower bad cholesterol.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing ... really! I'd be really interested in seeing a list of staple items you keep on hand for cooking. Somehow, I think your grocery list would look much different than mine.

Leighann said...

I'm going to have to stop reading this blog. :)

Anonymous said...

Well, I made the calzones last night and they were a big hit with Cam and with me, however DH wanted to know where the meat was. Damn carnivore!

M said...

Those look great. My kiddos love spinach and cheese so they'd probably go over well. Now, I just need to find the time to actually cook something.