Monday, August 6, 2007

Summer Veggies



Tonight we had baked chicken, cherry tomatoes, cucumber salad and corn on the cob. The vegetables are all from my in-laws' garden. Nice of them to share, huh?

All I did to the chicken was sprinkle some chicken/rib rub on it and bake it at 375 for about 30 minutes. The cucumber salad is just a dill/vinegar/mayo based dressing with vidalia onions and thinly sliced cucumbers.

The girls ate the majority of the meal. Cate really loved the corn and Emma had to turn it into an art project before she could eat it. My husband fussed a little because the chicken wasn't fried.

For dessert, I made preacher cookies and yes, I'll feed them to my
kids.

"I Hate Cucumbers!" Cucumber Salad

INGREDIENTS

* 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
* 2 teaspoons white sugar
* 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
* 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
* 1/4 cup mayonnaise
* 5 cucumbers, scored and thinly sliced
* 1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
* 1/2 red onion, chopped
* salt to taste

DIRECTIONS

Stir together vinegar, sugar, pepper, and dill in a large bowl until the sugar has dissolved. Stir in the mayonnaise until smooth, then add cucumbers, celery, and red onion until evenly coated with the dressing. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour. Season to taste with salt and stir once again before serving.

Preacher Cookies

INGREDIENTS

* 1/2 cup butter
* 4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
* 2 cups white sugar
* 1/2 cup milk
* 1/8 teaspoon salt
* 3 cups quick cooking oats
* 1/2 cup crunchy peanut butter
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS

1. Mix butter or margarine, cocoa, sugar, milk, and salt together in saucepan. Boil for 3 minutes.
2. Beat in oatmeal, peanut butter and vanilla. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto waxed paper. Allow to cool and harden.

(both of these recipes came from allrecipes.com

2 comments:

M said...

My kids would probably have two a piece. No judgements here.

TracyKM said...

I make a version of those cookies in the microwave, but never knew they were called that! I think I like the stove version better, if it only takes 3 minutes. You boil the microwave ones a total of about 10 minutes!