Saturday, August 4, 2007

Vodka Sauce


Penne Pasta with Vodka Sauce and steamed asparagus.













Vodka Sauce
The Vodka is the key here. Don't get cheap schwag vodka. GOOD vodka = good vodka sauce.

1/3 cup vodka
1 pint fat free half/half
3 chopped tomatoes (or 2 cans of diced tomatoes)
1/4-1/2 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
1 onion diced
3 cloves garlic minced
chopped fresh basil (1/4 cup maybe??)
red pepper
shredded carrots (amount is up to you, I use about 1/4 of a cup)


This is one of those dishes that I sneak carrots into and my kids don't notice. Not that my kids don't like carrots but I don't see anything wrong with sneaking them in unnoticed either. ;)

Saute onions and garlic in some olive oil until soft. Pour in the vodka and cook until most of the alcohol is gone. Toss in the tomatoes, carrots and half-half. When it's warm (not hot) toss in the basil and red pepper to taste. Slowly stir in the mozzarella until it melts. Too much cheese makes it pastey in texture, if I accidentally do that I just put in milk to thin it out. I also usually toss in a pinch or two of kosher salt.


I'm taking tomorow "off" and we're going to do leftovers from the week, so I'll see you all on Monday!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not sure if I'd be willing to cook the alcohol out of my vodka -- isn't that alcohol abuse??