Monday, August 6, 2007

Stuffed Bell Peppers


Green Bell Peppers stuffed with Baby Portabella Mushrooms, Wild and White Rice with Mashed Red potatoes (skin on some of them).

The baby LOVED it. He did not eat any green pepper (I was afraid of him gagging even if I cut them small) and I couldn't feed him fast enough. He kept saying MA! NUM NUM! and then he'd get a bite in his mouth and say MMMmmmmm.
My 9 year old ate 2 of the stuffed bell peppers. Wowza!

I know some ppl would say rice + potatoes = too many carbs but I like to put a bite of mashed potatoes on the bite of stuffed bell pepper. I grew up with the "traditional" side for our stuffed bell peppers being mashed potatoes and it's one of those things I can't seem to find something that I think goes better with the dish. So, there ya have it... blame my mother. ;)

Stuffed Bell Peppers
Green Bell Peppers
Baby Portabella Mushrooms
Wild Rice
White (or brown) Rice
Onion Diced
Garlic Minced
Cheese
Egg (or egg replacer)
Tomato Diced
Kosher Salt

Preheat oven to 350F (177 C)

Cook rice (in separate pots) according to package directions.

Boil a large pot of water.

Cut the tops off the bell peppers and rinse out the seeds. Sprinkle some kosher salt on the inside of the peppers and place in boiling water for about 5 minutes. Remove and place on a papper towel open side down to drain.

Saute the Onions, Garlic and mushrooms in butter or olive oil until the onions are soft. Mix Egg, Cheese, Rices and onion/garlic/mushroom mixture in a bowl. Stuff the bell peppers with the mixture. Place in 13x9 pan and bake at 350 until heated through. Usually I leave them in the oven until I'm done cooking the mashed potatoes, so about 30 minutes.

Take them out of the oven and top with the diced tomato. Enjoy!

3 comments:

M said...

Looks like a meal my kiddos would love. I'll have to try it and let you know how it goes over.

Leighann said...

Looks very yummy!

Anonymous said...

This is what we had last night, although there was "flesh" in our stuffed peppers and they were served with (more) rice and green beans!