Friday, August 3, 2007

Meatless Meal



For tonight's meatless meal, I made Stove Top Mac & Cheese (and no it does not come from a box nor does it contain Velveeta). For the recipe, I used this:

From Good Eats

1/2 pound elbow or corkscrew macaroni
4 tablespoons butter
2 eggs
6 ounces evaporated milk
1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Fresh black pepper
3/4 teaspoon dry mustard
10 ounces sharp cheddar, shredded

In a large pot of boiling, salted water cook the pasta to al dente and drain. Return to the pot and melt in the butter. Toss to coat.

Whisk together the eggs, milk, hot sauce, salt, pepper, and mustard. Stir into the pasta and add the cheese. Over low heat continue to stir for 3 minutes or until creamy.


I'll be honest though, I alter those measurements a little, leave out the hot sauce, used less cheese, 2% organic milk instead of evaporated and added a little bit of mozzarella. I love that recipe because it's so easy and you do not have to turn on your oven. I also used tiny shells pasta instead of elbow macaroni.

The broccoli I steamed in the microwave and drizzled with a little butter. The cherry tomatoes are from my in-laws' garden.

For dessert, we had sugar free orange jello with Cool Whip. Not that you really need a picture of that, but I took one anyway.

My girls loved this meal and polished off everything on their plastic plates. ;)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This mac & cheese looks very similar to what I make in the oven, but somewhat easier. I'll be trying this recipe in the near future!

Leighann said...

We can't keep tomatoes in our house. The kids polish them off in seconds flat!